TriCounty Health Department reminds the Uintah Basin that carbon monoxide is called the invisible killer, as the gas is invisible, odorless, and colorless. It is created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane are burned incompletely. U.S. fire departments estimate that last year they responded to 80,100 carbon monoxide incidents which average out to be nine calls per hour. Some tips for safety are to be sure that alarms are installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound. Test alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel declare that it is safe to re-enter the home. For a complete list of tips, visit the Give’m Health page at